Dear Uma

1. The protein sequence given in the databases, do from time to time have errors, particularly if you are working with "old" proteins (when the sequencing was done a long time ago). What you observe could also be a threonine or even a valine. You should check whether homologous protein also have a serine on that position. I Normally do not assign double conformation unless you have fairly high resolution data, it is a bit hard to judge what the resolution is here. Often a double conformation is accompanied with negative difference density on top of the assigned atom, if you lower the sigma level a little, you often see it.

2. It is also common to have local frameshift errors in loop regions, even in reasonable high resolution data. I think you should double check the region to make sure you are not facing this problem, it is surprisingly difficult to detect sometimes, but you will know when you got the right.

Cheers
Preben