First of all, isn't the choice either dimer or trimer, and second, as a
protein-detergent complex (PDC), it would be very unlikely that a trimer of
99 kD would run at 100 kD, although all is fair in love, war, and membrane
proteins.

JPK

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Raji Edayathumangalam
<r...@brandeis.edu>wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Sorry for the non-CCP4 post.
>
> I have a very basic question about detergents, critical micelle
> concentration and behavior on gel filtration.
>
> A 33kDa membrane protein was purified by gel filtration in a buffer
> containing 0.4%(w/v) beta-NG (CMC: 6.5mM) and 0.046%(w/v)LDAO (CMC:
> 0.14mM).  So the concentrations of beta-NG and LDAO in the gel-filtration
> buffer are ~2X and ~14X that of the CMCs of the respective detergents. The
> elution volume of the protein peak (plus detergent) on Superdex200
> corresponds to a molecular mass of 100kDa.
>
> I think that the 100kDa mass above includes contributions from both the
> protein as well as the detergent micelles. If this is correct, is it then
> accurate to try to glean the oligomerization state of the protein (and
> conclude that it is a trimer or tetramer) without taking into account
> detergent micellar mass and its influence on elution volume?
>
> How should one interpret the 100kDa mass estimate from the gel filtration?
>
> Thanks.
> Raji
>

> --
> Raji Edayathumangalam
> Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School
> Research Associate, Brigham and Women's Hospital
> Visiting Research Scholar, Brandeis University

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University
Medical Scientist Training Program
email: j-kell...@northwestern.edu