On 7/13/2012 1:58 AM, Tim Gruene wrote:

Dear all,

I am surprised by the discussion about "chiraliy" of an utterly
centrosymmetric molecule. Shouldn't the four Oxygen atoms be at least
from a QM point-of-view to indistinguishable? What reason is there to
maintain a certain 'order' in the human-induced numbering scheme?

   There are good reasons for maintaining "order" in this human-induced
numbering scheme.  A common operation is to superimpose two molecules
and calculate the rmsd of the positional differences.  This calculation
is not useful when the Val CG1 and CG2 are swapped in one molecule relative
to the other.  Suddenly you have, maybe a handful, of atoms that differ
in position by about 3.5 A when most of us would consider this to be
nonsense.  We want the rmsd between equivalent atoms regardless of the
"human-induced numbering scheme".  There are two ways this can come about.
1) The overlay program could swap the labels on one to match the other or
2) The labels can be defined to be consistent from the start.

   Neither 1) or 2) are objectively better in any absolute sense. The
Powers that Be, however, have decided that for Val, Leu, Phe, Tyr, and
the PO2 in DNA, RNA, and many co-enzymes models should be adjusted to
conform to a standard.  If we are doing this for these groups in order
to make comparison of models simpler, why stop there?  If we say there
are standards for some groups but not others we have the worst of both
worlds - We have to both modify models and write complicated comparison
programs.

   The failure of comparison programs to correct for labeling differences
is generally a silent error - A handful of 3.5 A differences mixed into
thousands of very small differences will not likely cause an increase in
the rmsd that would be noticed.  Only if the individual differences are
plotted, or the biggest differences are listed will the user notice the
problem.  Silent errors are the worst errors since they are the most
likely to make it all the way to publication.

   As I see it, the problem here lies in the program that created the
original poster's SO4 group.  If it had matched the convention now present
in the CCP4 cif there would be none of these problems.  That program
should be tracked down and updated.

   The problem of labeling groups that have symmetry along a rotatable
torsion angle is a persistent problem that, I'm afraid, has no permanent
solution other than CONSTANT VIGILANCE.  I see that the newer versions
of Coot have taken up this burden, at least for Phe and Tyr.  (I guess
we need a picture of a coot with one big roving eye.)

   Since we are already unambiguously defining the labeling for a number
of the groups we use, I think it is up to you to justify why this group
should be treated differently.

Dale Tronrud

P.S. On a only slightly off topic note - I'm quite afraid of using "both"
as the definition for chirality.  I've noticed that this keyword is used
as an excuse to not figure out what the real chirality of an atom is and
as a result people build models with bad chiral centers that are not flagged
by their software (another silent error that makes it to publication.)  The
PDB is littered with cofactors and ligands that have inverted chiral centers
(Even centers that Pasteur would approve).  I would prefer that "both"
was not a legal value and researchers would be required to think about
chirality.

Cheers,
Tim