Are all the software packages consistent in their (mis)use of these
symbols? Recently I scaled data (scalepack) as R3, imported to ccp4 as H3,
and had to make a link in $ODAT/symm from R32 to H32 (which it turned out to
be).

Ian Tickle wrote:
If we're all agreed that ITC(A) is taken as the authority on all
matters of space group symbology (and I for one certainly agree that
it should be), then SG symbol H32 (SG #145:
http://img.chem.ucl.ac.uk/sgp/medium/145bz1.htm) has nothing to do
with R32 (SG #155: http://img.chem.ucl.ac.uk/sgp/medium/155az1.htm)!
According to the Hermann-Mauguin system of nomenclature H32 (more
correctly written as H3_2 where the '_' indicates a subscripted screw
axis) would be the hexagonal-centred (H) lattice setting of P32 (P3_2
in H-M).  H32 as an alternate setting symbol for R32 is a very recent
PDB invention which conflicts with the well-established H-M convention
used throughout ITC.  The ITC symbols for the rhombohedral&  hexagonal
axis settings of SG R32 are R32:r and R32:h respectively, i.e. obvious
extensions of the H-M symbols without introducing any conflict with
the existing convention, as the PDB symbol does.  The confusion has
arisen from the failure to distinguish the lattice type (the first
letter of the symbol) from the symbol for the basis system of the
setting (the final letter after the ':').

See http://cci.lbl.gov/~rwgk/my_papers/CCN_2011_01_H3_H32.pdf for an
excellent explanation of all this and of the confusion that arises
when programmers ignore established conventions and 're-invent the
wheel' (e.g. SCALEPACK apparently swaps the meaning of the PDB symbols
R32&  H32 and uses R32 for PDB H32 and vice-versa!).

Cheers

-- Ian