Dear Gerard

Your point concerning my admittedly somewhat cavalier usage of the
term 'setting' in the R23:r vs R23:h context is well taken, however I
would point out that a) I'm not the first to use this terminology
(e.g. the CCN article I referred to talks about "triple-cell
settings"), and b) ITC doesn't use the specific term 'lattice mode'
either, though it does use 'centring type' which I guess means the
same thing?  It would clearly be nice to have a single term that
encapsulates both concepts, otherwise what are we to call, for
example, the symbol R32:r - does it define a setting or a centring
type?

In ITC the rhombohedral/hexagonal dichotomy is dealt with by assigning
a property called alternatively 'centring type' and 'description'; the
first is too specific for what we want, the second it seems to me
rather too bland and general.  Either way it would appear that R32:r
is both a symbol for the setting in the context of obverse vs reverse
rhombohedral settings (conventionally the obverse is chosen so
presumably the symbol R32:r applies only to that setting, otherwise
it's ambiguous), and a symbol for the centring type in the context of
rhombohedral vs hexagonal cells!  However 'description' does seem to
be the common denominator term: it is used in ITC to indicate both
settings and centring types - but as I said it does seem rather bland
('space group description' could mean almost anything!).  As you
indicate, for practical purposes getting a consistent vocabulary would
seem to be of lesser importance than getting a consistent
nomenclature.

On the question of primitive vs centred monoclinic lattice types, I
would point out that in ITC unique axis 'a' settings are also not
considered to be candidates for the conventional cell, though 'b' and
'c' settings are.  So self-evidently not all possible 'descriptions'
are considered to be conventional and the subset listed in ITC is
merely a matter of convention (a tautology if ever there was!).

Cheers

-- Ian