Mac OSX because of Time Machine, Illustrator and crystallographic software in one happy box. XP on a Virtual Box for emergencies (SAXS, AUC and ITC programs).

Though with Microsoft and Apple both pushing towards gestures, fingertip interaction and tablets, Linux will be the only option for laptops in two/three years' time.

Mind that if you buy a MacBook, there's only one (hefty 15") model without a mirror-coated screen.

Andreas