I believe that the definition of "significant" for crystallographic
data should be based on the difference map.  If a shift of that magnitude
causes a feature to appear in the map, then the crystal data is driving
the shift.  If you can have a shift that large, for the particular atoms
in question, and the difference map remains flat then the crystal data
doesn't care.

   A refinement program will move an atom for lots of reasons in
addition to the diffraction data, sometimes for no reason at all (simulated
annealing, for example).  The difference map is a pure expression of the
will of the diffraction data.

   The most sensitive calculation is the F(holo)-F(apo) map, but this
requires isomorphous crystals.  It might be possible to paste into the
holo model a couple residues from the apo model, refine all parameters
except the position of these atoms, and see if the Fo-Fc map objects.

   Remember, a lysine on the surface can probably be built in twenty
different conformations and the difference map flat in every case while
a couple atoms elsewhere could have a shift of 0.1 A that lights up the
map.   There are no generic "cut-offs" or "thresholds" that work.

Dale Tronrud