Dear Bill,

You have not missed anything, we do not have a mechanism for delivering source
code *updates* in automatic fashion as yet. Our statistics shows that source
code distributions make only 2-3% of binary downloads, therefore, I hope that
you would understand that we have to prioritise our efforts. CCP4 is currently
in transitional state regarding its repository system and build mechanism, so
that not everything is in due shape, and I apologise for any inconvenience this
is causing to you.

Current source codes are available from FusionForge at

http://fg.oisin.rc-harwell.ac.uk

just choose Project->Project List->Project Name (e.g. sfcheck) -> SCM and a
checkout command will be on the screen. These are our new repositories, but we
have not finished migration to them yet. Codes that you do not see on
FusionForge, are still available from CVS:

http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/cvs

We do realise that checking out sources and building them on client's side may
be a non-trivial task to do. In order to help that, we are developing a
completely new build system, which allows one to automatically check out CCP4
components and build them individually or all at once with a single command.
This is meant to be our build system for next release (hopefully), and, in
fact, Windows part of 6.3.0 was actually built with it. I would like to
encourage you to have a look at

http://devtools.fg.oisin.rc-harwell.ac.uk

which is a not-so-long instruction on how to use the new system. It can be used
right away to build current source codes, so that you do not have to browse the
repositories.

We would be highly appreciative if you give it a try and communicate your
feedback to us. As I mentioned, things are currently being shaped, and we are
prepared to have any suggestions. Please do not put it away if it does not work
for you for any reason, and speak to us instead.

Responsible people, who are to be contacted for feedback/clarification/help:

New build system: Marcin Wojdyr at  marcin.woj...@stfc.ac.uk

New repositories: Charles Ballard at charles.ball...@stfc.ac.uk and/or
                             Ville Uski at ville.u...@stfc.ac.uk

I hope that this clarifies the issue, but let me know if it does not.

Best regards,

Eugene

--
Scanned by iCritical.