On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 06:20:59PM +0000, Ronan Keegan wrote:
> Dear CCP4 Users,
>
> A CCP4 update has just been released, consisting of the following changes:

Hi Ronan et al,

The update client on OS X doesn't seem to like our installation and dies
with:

Can't make <<class cfol>> of alias
"programs:i386-mac:ccp4:6.3.0:lib_exec:Update.app:" into type Unicode text

But I found an odd workaround. If I double-click the Update.app in Finder,
I get the administrator password prompt, enter the credentials, and then
the updater tells me that $CCP4 is unset, etc.

I can then run 'open Update.app' from the shell, and it inherits $CCP4 and
runs correctly.

Any ideas? The workaround works, but since I don't really know why, I don't
feel particularly good about it.

Also, my installation is on NFS and is not owned by root, so it doesn't
require administrator privileges to update. It would be nice if the
application checked for write privileges before assuming it needs to be run
with escalated privileges.

-ben

--
| SBGrid Consortium                          | http://sbgrid.org       |