As much fun as it is to bash Nature, Science and Cell, the evidence that they
publish poorer quality structures doesn't actually hold up well.  Gerard
Kleywegt (cited below) and I tried to use that supposition as the basis of a
"positive control" for our case-controlled validation paper in Acta D, but we
were surprised that once you account for the fact that the high-profile
journals tend to publish papers on bigger structures that generally diffract to
lower resolution, there's actually very little evidence that those structures
are worse than comparable lower-resolution structures in lower-impact journals.

They probably do have more than their fair share of retractions -- but then
it's hard to control for the varying level of scrutiny applied to papers
published in different journals.

In support of Bayesian reasoning, it's good to see that the data could
over-rule our prior belief that Nature/Science/Cell structures would be worse!

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail:
rj...@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.
www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk