From: "Peter Hsu" <hsuu...@u.washington.edu>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 12:12:58 PM
Subject: [ccp4bb] oof topic: pH effect on substrate analog

Hi all,

I'm working on a protein that I recently got crystals of. My functional studies
show that the protein has optimal activity at lower pHs, while losing >90%
activity at about pH8. I've been trying to soak/cocrystallize a substrate
analog (small molecule) into my crystals (grown at ~pH8) with no real luck. I'm
wondering, since I lack activity at this pH point, would it lead to no binding
of a substrate analog?

Thanks for any insights

Peter