As for most questions in science, the answer is unfortunately "it depends."

A substrate analog may bind just peachy at a pH in which the enzyme is inactive, depending on what interactions are involved in stabilizing the analog compared to the substrate transition state. Such a complex may still be structurally informative.

Changing the ionization states of active site groups may or may not have a significant effect on binding. One must consider not only electrostatic interactions, but also hydrogen bonding donor-acceptor interactions. Lowering pH, for example, may turn H-bonding acceptors into obligate donors, or in the case of metalloenzymes, make metal-bound water/hydroxide labile for exchange.

In any event, I'd be willing to bet that a substrate analog structure at a non-optimal pH is more informative than no structure at the optimal pH! :)

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor