Hi Ian,

It's easy to forget about LINK records and such when dealing with the
coordinates (I recently had to fix a bug in my own code for that).
The problem with insertion codes is that they are very poorly defined in the
PDB standard. Does 128A come before or after 128? There is no strict rule
for that, instead they are used in order of appearance. This makes it hard
for programmers to stick to agreed standards. Instead people rather ignore
insertion codes altogether. They are really poorly soppurted by many
programs. Perhaps switching to mmCIF gets rid of the problem.

Cheers,
Robbie