Another consideration here is your PDB deposition. If the reason for using
weak data is to get a better structure, presumably you are going to deposit
the structure using all the data. Then the statistics in the PDB file must
reflect the high resolution refinement.

There are I think three places in the PDB file where the resolution is stated,
but i believe they are all required to be the same and to be equal to the
highest resolution data used (even if there were only two reflections in that
shell).
Rmerge or Rsymm must be reported, and until recently I think they were not
allowed
to exceed 1.00 (100% error?).

What are your reviewers going to think if the title of your paper is
"structure of protein A at 2.1 A resolution" but they check the PDB file
and the resolution was really 1.9 A?  And Rsymm in the PDB is 0.99 but
in your table 1* says 1.3?

Douglas Theobald wrote:
Hello all,

I've followed with interest the discussions here about how we should be refining against weak
data, e.g. data with I/sigI<<  2 (perhaps using all bins that have a
"significant" CC1/2 per Karplus and Diederichs 2012).  This all makes statistical
sense to me, but now I am wondering how I should report data and model stats in Table I.

Here's what I've come up with: report two Table I's.  For comparability to legacy structure stats,
report a "classic" Table I, where I call the resolution whatever bin I/sigI=2.  Use that
as my "high res" bin, with high res bin stats reported in parentheses after global stats.
  Then have another Table (maybe Table I* in supplementary material?) where I report stats for the
whole dataset, including the weak data I used in refinement.  In both tables report CC1/2 and Rmeas.

This way, I don't redefine the (mostly) conventional usage of "resolution", my
Table I can be compared to precedent, I report stats for all the data and for the model
against all data, and I take advantage of the information in the weak data during
refinement.

Thoughts?

Douglas

^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`^`
Douglas L. Theobald
Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry
Brandeis University