Dear All,
Something like what Felix wrote is seen in the crystal structure of recombinant
human acetylcholinesterase (rhAChE) (PDB-ID: 3lii), with two molecules are seen
in the asymmetric unit.
* In one molecule, the active-site gorge (where inhibitors normally lie) is
occupied with part of a peptide loop from a symmetrically related rhAChE.
* While the corresponding region of the other copy of rhAChE is void of this
peptide.
See figs 15-16 in:
Dvir, H., Silman, I., Harel, M., Rosenberry, T. L. & Sussman, J. L. (2010).
"Acetylcholinesterase: From 3D structure to function" Chemico-Biological
Interactions 187, 10-22.
* So, in essence, no reason to ever assume that two copies in asymmetric unit
will be identical, or have identical inhibitors bound, or 'surrogate
inhibitors' (like in this case) bound. Sometimes differences are due to
difference in crystal packing
Best regards,
Joel