We did work with a full blown OSX Server in 2004 - indeed many issues on NFS
were Ok, but NIS was a problem - or we could not figure it out.
We used it as server for developers, running X-grid, SVN, WebObjects servers
for a couple of EC networks, but never deployed it fully
as a departmental-level server, due to the NIS issues. For a while it also
hosted the protein-ccd server.
We wanted to move to Kerberos if I recall correctly, but since my colleague
Serge Cohen moved out and our IT are mac-o-phobic I opted to continue with
Linux.

The Server was decommissioned a few weeks ago, and will likely get a second
life in Soleil/Ipanema,
but I think as an electric heat generator - almost as good on it as my old
8-proc Alpha (2000) ;-)

A.