Dear Dave,

many methods articles mention a small set of commonly used proteins. E.g.
Mueller et al, "Optimal fine phi-slicing for single-photon-counting
pixel detectors", Acta Cryst D68, p42-56 list Insulin, Lysozyme,
Thaumatin, and Thermolysin;

Nanao et al, "Improving radiation-damage substructures for RIP", Acta
D61, 1227-1237, list Elastase, Insulin, Lysozyme, Ribonuclease A,
Thaumatin, and Trypsin.
Elastase, though, decided not to crystallise any longer about ten'ish
years ago.

Attached is a different condition for Lysozyme which I received from
Prof. Susana Andrade and which I usually use for teaching. - the
crystals grow during lunch time. They can be picked directly and you
can show the cryo-protecting effect of Ethylene glycol with increasing
concentration.

Best,
Tim

On 02/04/2013 05:03 PM, David Roberts wrote:
> So, I know I say this every time I post on this board, but here it
> goes again.
>
> I'm at an undergrad only school, and every 2 years I teach a class
> in protein crystallography.  This year I'm being super ambitious,
> and I'm going to take a class of 16 to the synchrotron for data
> collection. It's just an 8 hour thing, to show them the entire
> process.  I'm hoping that we can collect 5-6 good data sets while
> there.
>
> I would like them to grow their own crystals, and go collect data.
> Then we'd come back and actually do a molecular replacement (pretty
> easy/standard really).  Just to get a feel for how it works.
>
> The protein I do research on is not one that I would push on this,
> as the crystals are hard to grow, they are very soft, and the data
> just isn't the best (resolution issues).  I do have a few that
> will work on my proteins, but I was thinking of having others in
> the class grow up classic proteins for data collection.  Obviously
> lysozyme is one, but I was wondering what other standard
> bulletproof conditions are out there.
>
> Can you all suggest some protein crystallization conditions (along
> with cryo conditions) for some commercially available proteins? I'm
> looking to get 6-8 different ones (and we'll just take them and see
> how it goes).  I wouldn't mind knowing unit cell parameters as well
> (just a citation works, I can have them figure it out).  I have
> about 7 weeks to get everything grown and frozen and ready to go.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  It always amazes me how
> helpful this group is.  Thank you very much.
>
> Dave

- --
- --
Dr Tim Gruene