We have suffered from that a lot at the NKI a few years back.

What worked for us was a combination of strategies, that were all mentioned
before but I will repeat:

1. Buy T1 phage-resistant strains, and also use an old incubator (and luckily
an old building
that was available at the time) to 'evolve' more strains that would be
resistant.
2. Stop storing bacteria and only store plasmids. Work with bacteria strictly
within our 'VMT' lab.
3. Perform 'phage' tests (PCR based) in a few (>20) places in the lab that are
labeled on a monthly basis.
Any positive result is red-alter and means to stop working and start cleaning.
4. Buy our 'phage buster', a machine that can bleach a closed room with acid,
as part of the cleaning procedure
(ideas to lock in the same room as being bleached team members that work
'dirty' in the lab have been
voiced - but not (yet) implemented)

It has costed us months of trouble, and its a serious matter. I would recommend
anyone to even close
the lab down for a couple of weeks to clean, destroy all glycerol stocks, clean
fridges, etc,
rather than try to handle it while 'normal operations' are in place. We have
tried that and only
when we got really serious and changed the way we work, we are now phage-free
for a few years
in a row and have minor trouble.

Tassos