Dear Appu,

I am not sure that I have a complete sense of the issue at hand since some
of the information needed to think your issue through is missing in your
email. For example, to what high resolution cut-off were the data measured?
What resolution limits were used for the MR search? How do the unit cell
dimensions and space group in the two cases compare?

I am guessing the ligand binding domain in your protein has the identical
sequence to that of the published ligand binding domain that you use as a
template in your MR search. In any case, here are a couple of my thoughts:

(1) It might be worth setting up different runs of MR with different
numbers for expected copies (not just two copies but also one copy and
three copies just in case you have one of the extreme cases of solvent
content)?

(2) If the MR solution is correct and there is physical room for a DNA
binding domain in your lattice (check by displaying symmetry mates),
perhaps the DNA binding domain is disordered. In that case (and if all
attempts with current data fail), you may have to crystallize the protein
in presence of DNA.

Good luck!
Raji

--
Raji Edayathumangalam
Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School