From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of hamid khan
[hamid...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 8:19 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] High Rmerge and I/sigma values....?

Dear CCP4BB Members,

I am interested in your expert comments/opinions about two values of a protein
crystal diffraction data. Basically I am new to this field and do not have much
idea about diffraction data interpretation and crystallography software’s use.

1)    What could be the possible reasons for a high Rmerge value, say like
0.185?

2)    Value 6.2 for average I/sigma(I) for higher shell means that the
resolution of the diffraction data is much higher than actually measured, what
could be the possible reasons for this?

For your ease I would like to past the table here;

Values in parentheses are for the last resolution shell
Space group                                     P2221
Unit-cell parameters (A°)
          a                                            58.08
          b                                            101.32
          c                                            103.47
Molecules in ASU                              1
Resolution range                               38.63 - 2.50  (2.59 - 2.50)
Total number of reflections                 228902
Number of unique reflections               21600
Completeness (%)                             99.1        (98.0)
Rmerge                                            0.185     (0.373)
Reduced χ2                                       0.94        (1.01)
Average I/σ(I)                                    9.8          (6.2)

Thanks for the tips..,

Hamid Khan