Hello Andrey,

it was the second case - my original installation was from source.
Calling $CBIN/ccp4um directly showed that indeed

/xtal/Suites/CCP4/ccp4-6.3.0/bin/ccp4um: 4: .: Can't open ./ccp4.setup-sh

and commenting out the third line  . ./ccp4.setup-sh in $CBIN/ccp4um
resolved the problem.

I am sending a copy to the ccp4bb in case others come across this problem.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Tim

On 04/06/2013 12:25 PM, andrey.lebe...@stfc.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Command line: ccp4um
>
> Please check permissions and ownerships of the following files and
> directories: $CCP4 $CCP4/libexec $CCP4/libexec/ccp4um
>
> I can imagine problems if you have different read-write access to
> these files.
>
> Another problem that we have already encountered occurs when update
> is used with the ccp4 installation from source. In this case you
> will not have ccp4.setup-sh in $CCP4/bin If this is the case or you
> does not have this file for any other reasons, please remove the
> following line . ./ccp4.setup-sh from the file $CCP4/bin/ccp4um
>

> Andrey
>

> On 5 Apr 2013, at 06:09, Tim Gruene wrote:
>
> Dear Andrey,
>
> when I click on 'Manage Updates' in ccp4i (is I usually do to
> update ccp4), the info line changes from '1 new updates available'
> to 'checking for new updates' and then back to '1 new updates
> available', but the actual update window does not pop up.
>
> What's the command to start the updater directly?
>
> Best wishes, Tim

- --
Dr Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie