Hi Martyn,

>    I think the question is where the error was made - seeing the uploaded file
> would clear this up. But it seems unlikely to me that the depositor saw a huge
> R factor discrepancy at the end of refinement and just blithely uploaded it.
> So scenario 3 :-
> PDB : we cannot reproduce your R factor with our programs
> Depositor : that's your problem mate - it was fine when it left me...up to
> you to sort it...
>    Which seems a sort of reasonable attitude to me.
Not quite, the depositor has to give, i.e. type, the space group (example
depositions:
https://www.ebi.ac.uk/pdbe-xdep/autodep/AutoDep?param=QovCsvhNv06Mpnr%2BvIkqqfuqeeBd8leFNAVymZgS%2Fe7mULyfrCaTMN8jsyaGZUTyUDQyN3gMF3o%3D).
 Don't ask me why, because it is clearly a source of error.

>   Checking back to see the space group misparsed and re-running the water
> moving-rem500 - and validation scripts would have cleared this problem with
> no action needed from the depositor.
I totally agree that the annotator could have intercepted the problem. But the
responsibility lies with the depositor. Hooray for bureaucracy!

Cheers,
Robbie