Well, if you do NMR you avoid the possible bottlenecks of having to obtain
well-diffracting crystals, and having to phase the protein (i.e. obtain SeMet
protein crystals or suitable heavy atom derivatives; or a suitable MR model).
But instead, you'll need to prepare labelled protein (15N and/or 13C), which is
expensive and for which your protein needs to be able to be expressed in
minimal medium, and your protein will need to be very soluble, monodisperse (in
general monomeric) and stable in a minimal NMR-compatible buffer for data
collections lasting for hours. Assigning all the protons and calculating the
final structure can also be months of work, while a high-resolution crystal
structure can be finished in days, if the above-mentioned bottle-necks can be
overcome.