Measurement worth not very much if simultaneously error of measurement is not
considered.
10 counts intensity on the top of 10000 counts background is close to nothing.
10 counts on the top of 1 count background is an excellent intensity.
Simultaneously with diffraction several types of X-ray scattering events occurs
such as:
Scattering  from the instrument parts can be regarded as one of the sources  of
systematic errors (apertures, beam-stops, peenholes) the should be eliminated
or just disregarded
Scattering from the air - more or less similar to latter but can be
conveniently subtracted and will not produce much systematic errors
Scattering from the water in crystal, sometime complicated by powder
diffraction appearance
Scattering from phonons of the crystalline lattice (TDS)
These two are legitimate contributors to the negative net intensity which can
be  (see Andrew Lesley and Bernard Santasiero comments) negative.  What is
"true value of Inet" I do not know. I know that
Inet can be properly measured according to accepted protocols and 101 of
counting statistics in the nuclear physics. And a contribution of the negative
intensity processed by F&W or similar (maybe OZ and WM and others) into the
quality of the
structure and electron density map is MEASURABLE. It is documented already very
long time ago:
[10] Hirshfeld, F.L.; Rabinowich, D. Treating Weak Reflexions in Least-Squares
Calculations. Acta
Crystallogr. 1973, A29, 510–513.
[11] Arnberg, L.; Hovmo¨ller, S.; Westman, S. On the Significance of
‘Non-Significant’ Reflexions.
Acta Crystallogr. 1979, A35, 497–499
However these papers are related to small molecule structures.
I personally do not think that protein crystals from point of view of
diffraction physics are different from that from crystals of small molecules.

Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology, Department of Molecular
Microbiology and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor

e-mail: mbfro...@post.tau.ac.il