How can there be nothing "wrong" with something that is unphysical?
Intensities cannot be negative.  How could you measure a negative number of
photons?  You can only have a Gaussian distribution around I=0 if you are using
an incorrect, unphysical statistical model.  As I understand it, the physics
predicts that intensities from diffraction should be gamma distributed (i.e.,
the square of a Gaussian variate), which makes sense as the gamma distribution
assigns probability 0 to negative values.