On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Ian Tickle <ianj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 June 2013 18:04, Douglas Theobald <dtheob...@brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
>>  --- but in truth the Poisson model does not account for other physical
>> sources of error that arise from real crystals and real detectors, such as
>> dark noise and read noise (that's why I would prefer a gamma distribution).
>>

> A photon counter is a digital device, not an analogue one.  It starts at
> zero and adds 1 every time it detects a photon (or what it thinks is a
> photon).  Once added, it is physically impossible for it to subtract 1 from
> its accumulated count: it contains no circuit to do that.  It can certainly
> miss photons, so you end up with less than you should, and it can certainly
> 'see' photons where there were none (e.g. from instrumental noise), so you
> end up with more than you should.  However once a count has been
> accumulated in the digital memory it stays there until the memory is
> cleared for the next measurement, and you can never end up with less than
> that accumulated count and in particular not less than zero; the bits of
> memory where the counts are accumulated are simply not programmed to return
> negative numbers.  It has nothing to do with whether the crystal is real or
> not, all that matters is that photons from "somewhere" are arriving at and
> being counted by the detector.  The accumulated counts at any moment in
> time have a Poisson distribution since the photons arrive completely
> randomly in time.

I might add that if you are correct --- that the naive Poisson model is
appropriate (perhaps true for the latest and greatest detectors, evidently
Pilatus has no read-out noise or dark current) --- then the ML solution I
outlined is a good one (much better than the crude Ispot-Iback background
subtraction), and it provides rigorous SD estimates too.