Dear All,

izit dye is a solution containing methylene blue that you could prepare in your lab. I usually prepare a solution of 0.05%w/v of dye in water and then I add a volume of dye solution equals to 10% of the volume of the drop containing the crystal to test. I prefer to add the dye solution in small portions (if the volume permits) every 2-3h in order to limit the shock due to the new solution on the crystal. You should remember that this test is not definitive: the dye is a cationic dye, that needs of anion counter part to bind the protein. Therefore, the dye is not able to colour all protein crystals: in addition, colouration is affect by pH of the crystallization condition, since low pH could increase the positive charge on the protein reducing its ability to bind the dye.

You could try also glutaraldehyde as alternative. In order to perform this test, you should put the crystal into a low ionic strength buffered solution containing up to 2% glutaraldehyde. In this condition, formation of Schiff bases with the lysines and N-term residues occurs and the crystal become a yellow gel, while salt crystals dissolve and should not be coloured.

To perform comassie crystal staining you should prepare a solution of 1% comassie in 40% MeOH and 10% Glacial Acetic Acid and add this solution as in methylene blue test. However, I rarely use this test because the use of MeOH and Glacial Acetic Acid causes the crystal dissolution.

Only a final tip: obviously these tests enable you to distinguish between protein and salt, however they do not differentiate between protein in the crystal and protein in solution. For these reason, in some cases could be difficult to see the crystal colouration due to the low contrast with the colouration of the solution. Hence, I prefer to put the crystals to test in a new solution with the same formulation of the drop where the crystals have grown but without protein and perform here the dye test that I have chosen. In this way, you can easily see the colouration of the crystal without background effect.

I hope I've helped you.

Danilo