There are many caveats to using glutaraldehyde on crystals, either for fixing
crystals or for "staining" them.

First, I would not hang a 1-2uL drop of 25% glutaraldehyde in the vapour
diffusion chamber, but add enough glutaraldehyde into the reservoir to make it
0.5-1.0 % (a 1:25 or 1:50 dilution;  a 1% solution is 100 mM).  Not only will
it be just as effective, the reservoir becomes the control: if the reservoir
turns yellow, you have free amines in the system (Tris, ammonium, etc.).

Second, the yellow color, which is due to Schiff's base formation, is harder to
see in "warm" light (color temperature, not the temperature of the stage) when
you are looking at small or thin crystals.  Use cool, white lights (like LEDs).

Finally, keeps some buffer around that is suitable for solubilizing the
protein.  If you are not sure about the color change, just add 10 uL of buffer
to the crystals and watch if they dissolve.  If they don't when treated with
glutaraldehyde, they are protein crystals.

As Zhijie said, be careful with handling glutaraldehyde.  It is highly volatile
and dangerous.  If you smell it (and the sweet smell will be obvious), it is
fixing you.  Keep a waste bottle half-full with 1 M ammonium sulfate, not
glycine (too expensive), then just dump any glutaraldehyde waste into it.

Cheers,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com