From: "Zhihong Yu" <nkyuz...@gmail.com>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2013 11:36:51 AM
Subject: [ccp4bb] few questions about resolving new structure through MR

Hi, all

I'm a rookie in resolving a brand new structure. I have some questions for my
current case and look forward to some suggestions.

Now I’m working on a protein like this:
N-ter(55aa)—domainA(110aa)—linker(30aa)—domainB(150aa)—C-ter(20aa), I got a
diffraction data just to 3.5Å, and there is no complete homology structure in
pdb bank, but only a homology structure (named as structureX later) for domainB
with ~30% sequence identity, so I have some questions as following:

1. Is it possible to find a resolution through MR approach using structureX as
a search model? Especially considering that the resolution is only 3.5Å.
Currently I just tried once using phaser and refine the structure, I can get a
R/Rfree of 0.45/0.55, and it looks like most of backbone in the structureX,
especially those within helix or sheet, can be well described by 2Fo-Fc
density. Is this primary result promising or not?

2. If it’s possible, what’s the general optimal procedure I should follow?

Really thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Zhihong