From: CCP4 bulletin board [CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] on behalf of Graeme Winter
[graeme.win...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:02 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] 100% Rmerge in high resolution shell

Usually this means that you have relatively high multiplicity, which
give-or-take improves the I/sig(I) by sqrt(m) where m is the multiplicity, but
also increases the Rmerge.

For any given narrow shell of reflections,

Rmerge ~ 0.8 / unmerged(I/sig(I))

merged(I/sig(I)) ~ sqrt(m) * unmerged(I/sig(I))

So it is perfectly possible to have unmerged I/sig(I) of 0.8 which will give
you an Rmerge of around 1.0, and have I/sig(I) (merged) around 3, by having
multiplciity 14 or so. I suggest that this is the case: if it is much lower
than this there is something odd going on.

For the merged I/sig(I) Rpim is much more instructive. I'd love it if people
reported merged and unmerged I/sig(I), Rmerge, Rmeas, Rpim, CC1/2, ... as each
of these tells something different.

Best wishes,

Graeme

Possibly useful papers:

http://www.nature.com/nsmb/journal/v4/n4/abs/nsb0497-269.html
http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?he0191
http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?he0268

On 19 November 2013 06:43, Shanti Pal Gangwar