Von: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] Im Auftrag von Dirk
Kostrewa
Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. Januar 2014 22:01
An: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Betreff: Re: [ccp4bb] twinning fun

Dear Bert Van-Den-Berg,

as far as I understand this, if you have true P622, process the data in P6 and
then test for twinning, both the Britton-test and H-test will indicate perfect
merohedral twinning.
This is because the Britton-test checks for a sudden increase of negative
intensities after de-twinning, which happens only at twin fractions close to
0.5 if the intensities used for de-twinning are the same. But this is true if
they are related by crystallographic symmetry.
The H-test relates the absolute difference to the sum of the presumably twinned
intensities, which gives "0" for intensities related by crystallographic
symmetry, again resulting in twin fractions close to 0.5.
In other words, intensities related by crystallographic symmetry would indicate
"perfect" twinning in both of these tests.

A better test for perfect merohedral twinning would be the ratio of <I^2>/<I>^2
which should be 2 for untwinned and 1.5 for perfectly twinned data, tested in
the higher space group. These values are reported by data processing programs
like XDS. Please, be aware that these ratios have rather strange values if you
have an unusually high background (loop fiber diffraction, ice rings, etc.) or
extremely weak data.

For a really good discussion of twin tests, see Yeates, Methods. Enzymol. 276,
344-358, 1997.

Best regards,

Dirk.