Hi,

> Is there a way to tell REFMAC that there are covalent bonds across asymmetric
> units?

Try this (example from 3gbi.pdb) for DNA:

LINK         P    DC B 119                 O3'  DA B 125     1555   2555  1.61
LINK         O3'  DA B 125                 P    DC B 119     1555   3555  1.61
LINK         P    DG C 209                 O3'  DT D 108     1555   3555  1.61
LINK         O3'  DT D 108                 P    DG C 209     1555   2555  1.61

Best,
Debanu.