Dear Tim,
My most experience is with HKL2000 which during the index doing something quite
mysterious and not very well described
such as a brute search for the correct reciprocal lattice. I do not know where
initially the reflections are placed by HKL2000,
but finally it converges. In the moment we know our orientational matrix (for
small molecules we need get enough reflections for that doing 5-10 deg
oscillation, again if we intend to use HKL2000), nothing matters (oscillation
range etc.) but
only stepping motors, stability of goniostat,  detector spatial resolution and
refinement of parameters. However I will be very glad to be corrected if I am
wrong.

FF

Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology, Department of Molecular
Microbiology and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor

e-mail: mbfro...@post.tau.ac.il