Hi Eric,

I've been trying to run Phenix.model_vs_data on the whole PDB. That program
> requires MTZ format,

not true, you can give it reflection date in CIF format as you get it from
PDB.

>  I've tried (with multiple versions of Phenix) to use Phenix.cif_as_mtz to
> perform the conversions, but that's been a less than satisfying experience.
> It runs rather slowly,

I just tried it myself on one of the largest data sets, and it took a few
seconds. Is that the time scale that you call 'slow'?

> and for reasons I haven't yet deciphered, it fails to convert in about 50%
> of cases. It's not clear to me how much of the problem is rooted in the
> program vs. my own mistakes. Regardless, I can't afford to lose more time
> fighting with cif_as_mtz,

At the time I was writing phenix.model_vs_data paper I was able to convert
more than 95% of entries... (I guess 97% or so to be precise).
I would say that troubles you face are a good reason to talk to developers
of respective problems (off list).

Good luck,
Pavel