On Wednesday, 14 May, 2014 13:52:02 Phil Jeffrey wrote:
> As long as it's just a Technical Comments section - an obvious concern
> would be the signal/noise in the comments themselves.  I'm sure PDB
> would not relish having to moderate that lot.
>
> Alternatively PDB can overtly link to papers that discuss technical
> issues that reference the particular structure - wrong or fraudulent
> structures are often associated with refereed publications that point
> that out, and structures with significant errors often show up in that
> way too.  I once did a journal club on Muller (2013) Acta Cryst
> F69:1071-1076 and wish that could be associated with the relevant PDB
> file(s).

Perhaps some combination of those two ideas?

The PDB could associate with each deposited structure  a crowd-sourced
list of published articles citing it.     They already make an effort to
attach the primary citation, but so far as I know there is currently
no effort to track subsequent citations.

While spam comments in a free-format forum are probably inevitable,
spam submission of citing papers seems less likely to be a problem.

        - Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg