Hi all,

My google-fu has failed me once again so I am turning to the collective
knowledge of the bb. I'm working on a blobology challenge at the moment and
have hit a wall. Is anyone aware of an ion that coordinates to lysine and
prefers octahedral geometry. The mystery ion seems to have perfect
octahedral geometry with bond distances of ~2.1 angstrom, but the only
direct side chain interaction is to a lysine NZ, the rest are waters.

I've been through the various and sundry metal coordination resources
including the Harding website and the Minor paper on datamining metal
binding sites. These unsurprisingly indicate that a cation is unlikely,
especially in the absence of any other, more coordination friendly side
chain or backbone atoms. I manually attempted chlorine but the density said
no. I have this protein in four other space groups, many from the same
batch of protein, and none of them have similar density at this residue so
it isn't a covalent modification. I have Mg, Na, and Cl in the crystal
solution/storage buffer, but as mentioned above the cations don't make
chemical sense and chlorine was a no go. I'm not ruling out an adventitious
tag-along. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Katherine

--
"Nil illegitimo carborundum"* - *Didactylos