On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Katherine Sippel <katherine.sip...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> My google-fu has failed me once again so I am turning to the collective
> knowledge of the bb. I'm working on a blobology challenge at the moment and
> have hit a wall. Is anyone aware of an ion that coordinates to lysine and
> prefers octahedral geometry. The mystery ion seems to have perfect
> octahedral geometry with bond distances of ~2.1 angstrom, but the only
> direct side chain interaction is to a lysine NZ, the rest are waters.

Lysine can coordinate a cation if the chemical environment is favorable -
usually this means a high-pH buffer (what was the pH of your crystals?).
The same is true for N-termini; I may be able to dig up a published example
of this.  (I think it is effectively impossible for Arg, however.)  These
interactions are certainly exceedingly rare (and I doubt they are ever
present in vivo), but if the nitrogen loses a proton the lone pair will be
able to coordinate a compatible ions.  Since magnesium can be coordinated
by the nitrogen histidine it seems like the most likely candidate - but I
would still be very, very careful before assigning it, especially if the
only other coordinating atoms are waters.

-Nat