Hi Katherine

I think this topic has been touched on before on CCP4BB. Any rigid body
motion can be decomposed into a single translation and a rotation about
that vector. In the case of a two-domain protein with a flexible hinge, the
translation component is often close to zero and a pure rotation results.
Like Herman I have an old program to decompose rigid transformations
into the screw axis form, but I believe Chimera will also do it for you with a
"measure rotation" command. There are cases such as haemoglobin where
the direction of the rotation axis as well as the rotation angle is pertinent.

Note that the angle you are calculating from your R matrix is different, since
it is about the origin. Google "Chasles theorem" for more information.

best wishes
Jeremy