On 9/15/2014 9:42 AM, Andrew Leslie wrote:
> Dear Huw,
>
> Many thanks for this information. I had seen the notice about
> Molprobity using CCTBX validation metrics, but I mistakenly thought
> that Phenix used the CCP4 monomer library, which I think was true
> once but is clearly no longer the case.
>
> Given the very small sigma values associated with the Phenix C4-C5
> bond length, it could be said to differ by 10.4 standard deviations
> from the CCP4 monomer library value !
>
> Many thanks to all others who have responded too.

> is not interesting at all, it is merely confusing. The resolution
> of the new structure is only ~3 Å, so there is no way that one can
> make meaningful statements about distortions from standard
> geometry. The warnings merely highlight the fact that we do not
> have adequate library entries.

   Which is interesting.  ;-)

   To be serious, I do think this is interesting.  Apparently someone
looking at this molecule has decided that this bond should be 1.49 A
with a sigma of 0.02 A while someone else looking at the same molecule
concluded it should be 1.386 A with sigma 0.01 A.  The most
significant source of uncertainty in this target value (whether it is
a double bond or an aromatic bond) has been ignored.  Each library is
constructed ignoring the possibility of error in categorizing the type
of bond.

   I think the lesson is that the sigmas are being seriously under
estimated when the target values are not derived from real high
resolution structures.

   Isn't it also interesting that the double bond of ccp4 is longer
than the aromatic bond of phenix?  Not what I would have expected.

Dale