Dear Ursula,

18% identity is really in the twilight zone for molecular replacement, where it
may work but there are certainly no guarantees.

However, there’s a feature in Phaser that is useful for this kind of problem,
i.e. the “rotate around” option, where you take advantage of knowing the
approximate orientation of a domain.  In the current version of Phaser in
either CCP4 or Phenix, this can be done as part of an automated search (instead
of doing separate rotation/translation/packing/refinement steps as in earlier
versions).  Let’s assume that the model from the first fragment was cut out of
a larger model, from which you would now like to place the second fragment.
The rotation to apply to the second one should be similar to what was applied
to the first.  In ccp4i, you can go to the “Additional Search Parameters”
folder, and choose “Brute” for the “Rotation function target”.  In the “Search”
pulldown that appears then, choose “Around an angle”, give the Euler angles
that were found in the search for the first domain, and choose something like
20-30 degrees for “Range”, i.e. allow the second domain to differ in
orientation by up to 20 or 30 degrees from the orientation for the first
domain.  It’s probably better to do translation searches with all orientations
generated by this rotation search, so open the “Expert parameters” folder,
under “Rotation search peak selection” choose “All peaks”, and turn “Rotation
clustering” “Off”.

We’ve had good luck in a number of cases where the hinge angle changes by more
than even the best rigid-body refinement would manage.

Good luck!

Randy

-----
Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research    Tel: +44 1223 336500
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building                         Fax: +44 1223 336827
Hills Road                                                            E-mail:
rj...@cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.
www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk