Andre,

I agree with Adam. Rigid body modelling with the crystal structure or
homology models using CORAL is the best way to proceed. Remember to
model all of your molecule, even the missing bits.  CORAL will use a
chain of beads for missing N- and C- termini or short linkers.  For
missing domains the only option is to use an homology model, and
remember that you are fitting the shape and not the secondary structure
which, is beyond the resolution of your SAXS data.

An additional comment on the use of the probable molecular shape models
generated by DAMMIN/DAMMIF.

The term "envelope" is most misleading, as most people think of the
CryoEM envelopes which are much more closely related to the actual
experimental observations.  The a priori bead models generated by these
programs are encoded with user biases of their own.  Did you use P1 or
P2 symmetry for instance.  The programs have options to generate
--prolate or --oblate shapes, the default bias is --globular.  If you
choose the wrong one, your shape may be very biased, and not at all
related to your actual molecular envelope.

The biggest caveat with any SAXS model, is the quality of your data and
sample.  The smallest fraction of contaminant can make all of these
analyses moot.

--
Yours sincerely,

Mark A. White, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Manager, Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics
Macromolecular X-ray Laboratory,
Basic Science Building, Room 6.630
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-0647
Tel. (409) 747-4747
Cell. (281) 734-3614
Fax. (409) 747-1404
mailto://mawh...@utmb.edu
http://xray.utmb.edu

QQ: "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look
for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and
wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."
- C. S. Lewis