What about nature's favourite cryoprotectant, trehalose?

From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Roger Rowlett
<rrowl...@colgate.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, 5 May 2015 7:22 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] cryo condition

We rarely use glycerol anymore, because it seems to fail so often for
many of our current proteins. Try glucose, 25-30%. This is most
conveniently done by weighing 125-150 mg of glucose in a microcentrifuge
tube, then addding well solution to the 0.5 mL mark and mixing until
completely dissolved. Then you can try dunking crystals in the cryo
solution, or, you can try the "no-fail" method (which does fail on
occasion) of cryoprotecting directly in the crystallization drop by slow
addition of the cryoprotectant. See
http://capsicum.colgate.edu/chwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Mounting+Protein+Crystals.
We have often found the slow addition of a glucose cryoprotectant works
for fragile, high solvent content crystals that are prone to cracking
under osmotic stress.

Other alternatives include high concentrations of sodium malonate
(1-2M), or high concentrations of sodium formate (I think around 4 M?).
These could also be introduced gradually if required.

Good luck!

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor