Hi LU,

the reason why IDXREF is not indexing smoothly is that the spot positions in
your SPOT.XDS are not very meaningful - you pick up a lot of noise! I plotted
your SPOT.XDS using

%%:-/tmp/luo% gnuplot
gnuplot> set size square
gnuplot> set out "tmp.png"
gnuplot>  set term png nocrop medium size 1280,960
Terminal type set to 'png'
Options are 'nocrop medium size 1280,960 '
gnuplot> plot 'SPOT.XDS' us 1:2 w dots
gnuplot> quit

and got the attached file tmp.png. This shows:
- ice rings
- streaks parallel to the x-axis
- some modules of the detector behave very differently from others

Poor IDXREF tries to make sense of all of this and still somehow manages to
come up with something that may be useful for further processing.
But the real remedy of the problems would be to properly set the parameters
influencing the COLSPOT step. These are documented at
http://homes.mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de/~kabsch/xds/html_doc/xds_parameters.html
(load the page into your browser, and search for occurrences of COLSPOT). The
most important ones in this case are probably
MINIMUM_NUMBER_OF_PIXELS_IN_A_SPOT=6  ! this is the default
STRONG_PIXEL=3                                                        ! this is
the default
INCLUDE_RESOLUTION_RANGE =50 0     ! no default, but you could try 50 4 to
exclude the ice rings
I don't know which values you used (you forgot to post XDS.INP), so I would try
with the above first, run COLSPOT, inspect with the gnuplot technique I
described, and then modify the parameters until the plot looks more meaningful,
at which point IDXREF will most likely happily index.

No, this is not fully automatic, but at least it's a logical way forward.

good luck,

Kay