Was the research publicly funded? If you receive funds from NSF, for example, you are expected to share and "make widely available and usable" software and inventions created under a grant (section VI.D.4. of the Award and administration guide). I don't know how enforceable that clause is, however.

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry