Being in software design myself, I want to look at it from the other side. If I produce software I want to get from it:
1) Gratitude from the users, preferably expressed in the form of citations;
2) Nice collaborations that allow me to use my, novel software at the edge of science; 3) The possibility to one way or another raise funds for future software design. Point 1 normally goes OK, it is my estimate that, for example, WHAT IF is cited properly in 25-50% of all cases it is used, while for WHAT_CHECK this percentage is a bit lower. Point 2 sometimes goes OK, but point 3 really is a problem. I maintain WHAT IF and WHAT_CHECK using hospital money, which allows me to keep these facilities free of cost for you.

When I was the first application-note editor for the journal Bioinformatics, I defined a series of rules for software publications that included: 1) The software must work as advertised; 2) the software must be freely obtainable (to academics), or the webserver/webservice must be free to use; 3) There must be good Help facilities and examples that work as advertised; and 4, and this point is relevant for the present discussion, the software must remain available for at least five years (this has nowadays been shrunk to three years, I believe).

When I referee an application note these days, I look at the track record of the group that produced the software. If they published software over the past few years and that software is now gone, then I tell them to first get their old products back up and running and that they can resubmit their new software next year.

So, I agree with Robbie, but also with the many people who said that 'we, ourselves' are the problem, not the system or the journals.

Greetings
Gert