If the software were open source, then funding would not matter. It could be
supported (or at least used) by the user base. Withdrawing the use of published
software because of funding issues represents a problem that can be remedied by
enforcing (at the referee level) open source licenses.

We allow (or rather can’t prevent) the use of other published information long
after the funding that produced said knowledge dries up. The situation should
be no different with software.

James