From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Abhishek
Jalan
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2016 11:48 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] multiple similar solutions in phaser

Dear all,

I am trying to solve the structure of a collagen triple helix using phaser. The
crystal diffracts to 2.0 A in P1 space group. Matthew's coefficient suggests 4
molecules in the asu. When I tried to search for 5 components, phaser gave 8
solutions each containing 4 triple helices.  The LLG scores are in the range of
2200 and TFZ around 15.
All 8 solutions are similar except that the triple helices slide either up or
down with respect to each other in different solutions.

Refinement of the top solution using default settings in phenix resulted in the
following statistics.

                             start         final
  R-work:           0.5000        0.4003
  R-free:            0.4989        0.4586
  RMS(angles):      1.82            1.74
  RMS(bonds):     0.013          0.009

I am relatively new to crystallography and would appreciate any help in
understanding why I am getting multiple solutions and if there is a way to
reconcile the results into a single solution.

Thank you
Abhishek