Hi

Something I'd do is try different programs for the indexing to see if you get
both choices with any programs - Mosflm & XDS will give you the 44
characteristic lattices and cell parameters by default (so you can easily see
if anything like the C2 cell is a straightforward transformation of the
triclinic one), other programs will only give you a selection of the "best"
choices (by default, anyway).

But you could just be lucky & get two structures from one crystallisation.

On 28 Oct 2016, at 14:21, Artem Evdokimov wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> 53 x 2 = 106
> 79 x 2 = 158
>
> Awfully close to 156 and 105 in the C-group. Are you sure there is no tricky
> twinning or faulty indexing of some sort - in either of these space group
> assignments?
>
> On the other hand, I have seen two different habits and different spacegroups
> growing from the same drop. So maybe you are just lucky?
>
> Artem
> www.xtals.org
> 'crystals the size of cats, every time'
>

> - Cosmic Cats approve of this message
>
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Sam Tang <samtys0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Sorry for going a bit off-topic in this thread.
> May I seek your advice as on whether you have experienced that crystals being
> obtained from the same droplet, looking alike under microscope (rod shape)
> and in fact growing possibly from a same nuclei, give two space groups after
> indexing?
>
> I recently obtain crystals for a protein (co-crystallized with a nucleic acid
> ligand) and collected two datasets from synchrotron. Although these two
> crystals are from the same drop, the SG and unit cell dimensions are very
> different:
>
> Xtal1: C121 (156 60 105 90 111 90) (L-test, Pointless shows that there is no
> twinning), ~2.5 Angstrom
> Xtal2: P1 (53 60 79 106 105 98), ~3 Angstorm
>
> Would it be possible that the ligand changes the SG of the crystal so that
> only one of the forms contains the ligand?
>
> Any advice is appreciated and thanks a lot in advance for your input.
>
> Regards
>
> Sam Tang
> Biochemistry Programme, School of Life Sciences, CUHK

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell
Chairman of International Union of Crystallography Commission on