Dear Crystallographers,

I am curious whether the observed effects of fine phi slicing might in part or
in toto be due to simply higher "pseudo-multiplicity." In other words, under
normal experimental conditions, does simply increasing the number of
measurements increase the signal and improve precision, even with the same
number of total counts in the dataset?

As such, I am looking for a paper which, like Pflugrath's 1999 paper, compares
two data sets with equivalent total counts but, in this case, different
multiplicities. For example, is a single sweep with 0.5 degree 60s exposures
empirically, in real practice, equivalent statistically to six passes with 0.5
degree 10s frames? Better? Worse? Our home source has been donated away to
Connecticut, so I can't do this experiment myself anymore.

All the best,

Jacob Keller

Jacob Pearson Keller, PhD
Research Scientist
HHMI Janelia Research Campus / Looger lab
Phone: (571)209-4000 x3159
Email: kell...@janelia.hhmi.org<mailto:kell...@janelia.hhmi.org>