Quite a few papers on this in recent years, including from the Sasha Popov (ESRF) and Wayne Hendrickson - don't have references to hand, the Google should sort you out.

And then of course the CCP4 program BLEND - that's both published and runnable.

But overall: this is the top problem in data processing at the moment, keeping a lot of smart people very busy. If that makes you feel better ;) Maybe they'll comment.